"I saw few die of hunger; of eating, a hundred thousand." -Ben Franklin

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Paleo: An Immune System of Steel

Oh, college-- a place where stressed out and sleep-deprived students live in close quarters, share everything, and classify Ramen noodles and Nutella as their own food groups. College is also a place where everyone seems to be sick-- colds, strep, mono, and the flu are always "going around" and never seem to go away.

Funny. I seem to be the only one pretty much immune to these sicknesses.

No, really. People are always asking me how I manage to be the only healthy one in a sea of colds, coughs, and fevers. And the answer, always, is a simple one: I don't eat crap.

During my SAD years, I suffered through a lot of colds. My immune system, which had been running on bread, cereal, and bad carbs galore, wasn't that strong-- sure, I never really got anything worse than colds, but sometimes they would last for weeks! Vegetables and fruits were rarely eaten; meat was always accompanied by a ton of starch. Even during my various attempts at Atkins, my body was fueled partially by chemical-laced food products... so I still got sick.

Since I've turned to the Paleo lifestyle, my immune system has become like a fortress-- not even all of the germs going around campus can attack it. In the last fourteen months, I've had one cold (which was during my brief Paleo-ish vegetarianism experiment... cut out meat, and get sick, perhaps?) that only lasted for a few days. That's it! Before Paleo, I probably had six to ten colds per year, each lasting for quite awhile. Eat well, be well. Let food be thy medicine and let medicine be thy food!

Of course, Paleo doesn't ward off sickness 100%. However, eating in this manner will strengthen your immune system to the point where if you do happen to catch a rare cold, it will be a lot less severe than you're used to. Your body will be getting all of the antioxidants and nutrients it needs to run smoothly and, in turn, keep you healthy. The cavemen weren't sickly like today's SADers!!

It's clearly not the dorms, late nights, or stress making everyone around here sick. It's the Ramen and Nutella.

Quote of the Day:
"The palaeo diet can be great. If we were still eating that diet, I'm certain we wouldn't be getting as ill." -Ray Mears

Self-explanatory:

How I stay healthy:

5 comments:

  1. Nice blog!Keep on blogging about the Paleo diet and lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I am satisfied with your information about paleo diet. I like to know about it. It is really interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've been drinking bird nest soup every night (i only get the homemade kind back at home). the only reason why i drink it is because it's supposed to be good for complexion.

    i’ve been taking the store-bought kind online (e.g. http://www.geocities.jp/hongkong_bird_nest/index_e.htm of famous branded only of course) which is directly mailed from Hong Kong. this would be at a more affordable price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having Trouble FOLLOWING with the Paleo Diet?

    Want to munch on healthy delicious recipes TONIGHT?

    Download your amazing Paleo Hacks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New Diet Taps into Revolutionary Idea to Help Dieters Lose 12-23 Pounds in Only 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete