"I saw few die of hunger; of eating, a hundred thousand." -Ben Franklin

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Recipe: Chunky Chivey Coffee Chili

Today is the one year anniversary of Paleo at Penn! I can't thank you all enough for reading my blog and being so supportive-- this last year of blogging has been a total blast!

It seems like almost every Paleo/Primal site/blog out there has a chili recipe. Since coming to Edinburgh, I've been eating a lot of chili because A) It's awesome, and B) I can make a huge thing of it and eat it for a few days. I've made quite a few variations of it thus far, but I think I've found the perfect recipe, which combines two of my favorite things: beef and coffee. (That might sound like an odd combination, but coffee-rubbed steaks are quite popular, so I figured I'd try coffee chili... and I'm glad I did.) So here's my Chunky Chivey Coffee Chili!

Ingredients (serves about 4):
-900 g (approx. 2 lbs) minced/ground beef
-1 can tomato sauce/paste
-1 onion, chopped
-1 tomato, chopped
-6 tsp. chives, chopped
-3 tsp. chili powder
-3 tsp. paprika
-3 tsp. garlic powder (or chopped garlic)
-3 tsp. basil
-3 tsp. oregano
-4 tbsp. ground/instant coffee (I love the flavor coffee gives to this dish, but you don't have to put this much in if you want a more subtle coffee taste.)

1. Cook beef in a pot on the stove until no longer pink. Drain the fat.
2. On low heat, mix in vegetables, spices, and coffee. Cover and let simmer for 30-35 minutes. Enjoy!


Quote of the Day:
"Among the numerous luxuries of the table... coffee may be considered as one of the most valuable. It excites cheerfulness without intoxication; and the pleasing flow of spirits which it occasions... is never followed by sadness, languor or debility." -Ben Franklin

3 comments:

  1. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. buy coffee beans

    ReplyDelete
  2. his is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the excellent work. single coffee maker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey – great blog, just looking around some blogs, seems a really nice platform you are using. I’m currently using WordPress for a few of my blogs but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you would recommend about it? types of coffee

    ReplyDelete