"I saw few die of hunger; of eating, a hundred thousand." -Ben Franklin

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Paleo Restaurant: Sauvage (Berlin)

I haven't been able to order absolutely everything off of a restaurant menu since January, 2010.  Since I first got into the real food lifestyle on February 1st of that year, almost every restaurant trip has left me frustrated with how little options I had... or has me driving the waiters crazy with the typical "No bread, no rice, no sauce, can I have double veggies instead?"  And except for during my trip to Paris a few months ago, I haven't ever been able to order dessert.

But that all changed when, last Tuesday, I experienced one of the best meals of my life in Berlin at Sauvage, the "world's first Paleolithic restaurant."  (I'd like to thank Paul from Living in the Ice Age for reminding me about it!)  Here is the sign that greeted me when I arrived, which made me fall in love with the place immediately:

Besides the fact that I was insanely excited about this place since making reservations the week before (seriously: make reservations if you plan on going, because this place got packed!), the following sign, displayed right when you walk in, made me really go into excitement over-drive:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It is so nice to walk into a restaurant and know that I won't "get glutened" or have a terrible reaction to processed crap, vegetable oil, grain-fed meat, or hidden sugar.  It's been two years since I haven't had to worry about that, and going to Sauvage has restored my faith in eating out (though now that I'm back in the UK-- and heading back to the US in a few months-- I'm going to be sad that a Paleo restaurant doesn't exist in either country.... yet).  Words seriously can't describe how excited I was for this meal!

The restaurant only seats up to forty people, and it was so cozy-- it had a very rustic feel, and dinner was 100% by candlelight, which added to the feeling that, oh my god, I'm eating in a Paleo restaurant!

Although the menu was entirely in German, the waiters were more than happy to translate every single dish for us-- and everything sounded more delicious than the next.  My mom and I each got an appetizer: cauliflower soup with their gluten/grain-free bread and butter, and the Paleo antipasti plate, which had everything from seed-based crackers to cabbage to olives to garlic to eggs.  Both dishes were so good!

  

For the main course, we ordered the "Steak Sauvage"--which was 100% grass-fed with caramelized red onion, chives, capers, garlic, and green pepper-- and a veal dish with roasted cauliflower, dates, paprika, mint, and sesame.  Nom!!   


Dessert was incredible, and it was so awesome to be able to order it!!  They offered two different desserts, so we ordered both and split them.  The first one was a dark chocolate and hazelnut tort with a wild berry sauce, and the second was a lavender-honey cake with their homemade ricotta and hibiscus sauce (with an almond crust).  So yummy!!  


This meal was amazing.  (It was also pretty reasonably priced for such high-quality food.  Our appetizers were in the €6-€9 range, our entrees from €17- €23, and desserts were €4.90 and €6.90.  They also do not accept credit cards.)  Not only was the food itself absolutely delicious, but the atmosphere, staff, and everything else about the restaurant made this an experience that I will never forget. 

Thank you, Sauvage, for a truly fantastic meal and night.

Quote of the Day:
"Paleo Cuisine is based on the dietary habits of our prehistoric ancestors, but doesn't tend to mimic how prehistoric men ate.  The Modern Paleo cook combines evolutionary science with contemporary cuisine and ancestral cooking methods."  -Sauvage website

5 comments:

  1. I was looking forward to seeing pictures - food looks great! :) I hope paleo restaurants pop up all over, it'd be so liberating to be able to freely order from the entire menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow what a great find, I love your blog, I am a student as well and a very new paleo (it's only been a week haha)I am planning on going abroad to Italy this fall to study, do you have any suggestions about where and how to find paleo food in a foreign country??/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kaitlyn! My biggest suggestion for finding Paleo foods is to check out any ethnic markets (Indian, Middle Eastern, Asian...), which usually sell things you won't be able to find in chain grocery stores (such as ghee, coconut oil, shredded coconut, spices, nut butters...). Also, explore ALL of your options-- a grocery shopping trip for me will take me to 3 or 4 different stores to find the best prices, freshest items, etc. Paleo foods have been really easy for me to find both here in the UK and when I was traveling throughout Europe on my breaks-- it's VERY easy to find places that just sell some type of protein and veggies, so I don't think you'll have any problems. Good luck, and don't hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions!

      Delete
  3. Totally amazing. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website offered us with valuable information to work on. You have done an impressive job and our whole community will be grateful to you.
    My page : Work from home

    ReplyDelete