"I saw few die of hunger; of eating, a hundred thousand." -Ben Franklin

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Review: The Paleo Recipe Book

Since I've become a Paleo/Primal enthusiast, I've been on a mission to find some of the best recipes so I can spice up my meals. I've read countless blogs, hunted down low-carb cookbooks so I can "Paleo-ify" the recipes, and spent entirely too much time obsessing about how I can use my dining hall's resources to make some really awesome recipes. Keep in mind that I really don't cook all that often in the first place-- mostly due to the convenience of my meal plan, but also because I only started cooking last summer and am still pretty clueless about many cooking techniques and spices.

I hit jackpot when I was contacted by Sebastien Noel (of the amazing www.paleodietlifestyle.com) and given access to The Paleo Recipe Book. Instead of doing my homework, I read through it all and learned a hell of a lot more than I would've reading for class... and I'm really glad I did. Not only is there an abundance of delicious recipes, but the conversion tables, food list, and step-by-step instructions for cooking techniques are so helpful... especially if you're like me and are cooking-illiterate!

Clueless about different types of steak? He's got you covered. Unsure about cooking stocks? He's got you covered. Overwhelmed by all of the spices out there? He's got you covered. Want to know how to make vinaigrettes and condiments? He's got you covered.
And if you're a Paleo/Primal eater or just a hungry foodie, he's really got you covered.

The Paleo Recipe Book is not your average cookbook-- it's a shopping guide, a how-to manual, a fact book, a collection of mouth-watering pictures of primal foods, and, of course, an all-around fantastic compilation of recipes that use a vast variety of ingredients and represent cuisines from all over the world. In the mood for Indian? Choose from quite a few different curry recipes. How about Italian? Yum, Osso Bucco... and Marinara sauce... and paleo lasagna! The diversity of recipes in this cookbook is absolutely fantastic-- no matter what type of food you're craving, something in this book will satisfy you!

I love how the over 300 recipes are organized by both major food group (such as "Red meat" and"Poultry") and type of dish (such as "Stews & Curries" and "Soups & Sides"). Navigating through it is therefore extremely simple and allows you to quickly find any type of recipe. There are also meals to fit every occasion, budget, and time constraint-- so even a college kid like me can make some of these meals for low cost in a short amount of time! I also love the fun-facts, tips, and suggestions provided along with some of the recipes-- he explains what certain dishes are, gives tips on where to buy or how to prepare some ingredients, or simply suggests how to serve your food.

I'm still amazed at just how many Paleo/Primal/real food recipes are included in this book. Many people complain about being bored while following any of these lifestyles (I guess because they don't realize just how many options there are?), but c'mon-- this book has over 300 recipes!!!!! And not only are there over 300 recipes, but there are over 300 incredibly diverse recipes from which to construct your meals. Further, so many of these recipes can be tweaked a bit so you can use whatever ingredients available to you while still following the general concept. If you're new to the Real Food lifestyle and are worried about what to eat, I insist that you buy this book. Actually, if you just love food, I insist that you buy this book.

I can't remember ever being this excited about a cookbook before. I made a late-night grocery run to the Fresh Grocer a few nights ago to look for some of the ingredients in these recipes, and I'm so excited to try them out soon! I'm planning on making the "Coconut curry stir-fry" at some point this week, since A) the book taught me how to stir-fry, B) the included "Herbs and Spices" guide taught me how to use spices, and C) my enthusiastic quest for ingredients after first getting this cookbook was a success! Also, I made the "Balsamic vinegar and oregano tomato salad" today for lunch, and I have one word to describe it: delicious. It's definitely going to become a staple for me!

So seriously: go to http://paleorecipebook.com/ and buy this cookbook. And not only will you get over 300 amazing recipes, but you'll also get an 8-week meal plan and an extremely informative Herbs & Spices guide that taught me everything I'll ever need to know to spice up (pun totally intended) my meals.

In the Foreword, Sebastien Noel writes, "I want this to be the only cookbook you will ever need to follow a Paleo diet." This will definitely be my only cookbook!

Balsamic vinegar and oregano tomato salad:

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on starting this journey and blogging about it - I am just starting along this journey so I am looking for all the help and support I can get :)

    One of my favorite blog with great cooking ideas is www.everydaypaleo.com - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. superb Blog. I Like it a lot brother.

    one of my blog also giving stuff www.paleorecipebo0k.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bought this paleo recipe book it is so awesome check it out
    http://7de30fg3paqp1mheqm44s6uo4z.hop.clickbank.net/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can spice up my meals. I've read countless blogs, hunted down low-carb cookbooks so I can "Paleo-ify" the recipes, and spent entirely too much time obsessing about how I can use my dining hall's resources to make some really awesome recipes. https://www.rebelmouse.com/thepaleorecipebook

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this with us! Some really amazing ideas.
    It’s really helpful people needing information on this topic. All the best guys Thank you for your post. This is excellent information.
    I have some relevant information you can review below.
    paleo recipe book
    paleo diet
    vegan diet

    ReplyDelete