"I saw few die of hunger; of eating, a hundred thousand." -Ben Franklin

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Recipe: Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani)

I love Indian food-- it's my absolute favorite cuisine, and there are plenty of Paleo/Primal options for both cooking and ordering it in restaurants (just skip the rice, starches, legumes, and anything fried). I was really excited to see recipes for butter chicken (murgh makhani) in quite a few different Paleo/Primal cookbooks-- there's one in Everyday Paleo, one in The Paleo Recipe Book, and one in The Primal Blueprint Reader-Created Cookbook too. So instead of following just one, I took bits from all three and added things of my own to create the following recipe!


Ingredients (serves 6):
-5 pounds chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
-2 onions, diced
-12 ounces tomato paste
-1 can coconut milk
-1 tsp cardamom powder
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1 tsp coriander
-1 tsp cumin
-2 tsp chili powder
-1 tsp ginger
-1 tsp paprika
-6-8 tbsp butter (or ghee)
-unsweetened coconut flakes

1. Heat some butter in a large skillet (on medium heat) and sauté onions. Add in spices.

2. Pour in the tomato paste and coconut milk and stir well so it becomes a thick sauce-- this step might take awhile! It looks really weird at first, but then turns into that beautiful red/orange color.

3. Add in the chicken, stir well, then cover and let simmer for 20 minutes (or until cooked) on medium-low heat.

4. Add in more butter and coconut flakes (any amount you want-- I love coconut, so I put a lot) and mix well into sauce.

5. Serve either by itself or over any type of veggie-- I used green leaf lettuce tonight, but anything would work well! I also sprinkled additional coconut flakes over mine too. Enjoy!

Quote of the Day:
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking, you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." -Julia Child

(This post is featured in Primal Cave # 5.)

5 comments:

  1. Gosh now you make me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you combines the recipes. I do that often. Thanks for sharing this on Chowstalker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWOWOWOWOW!!!! this is fantastic. I am going to try it with shrimp next time. The only alterations I made were because I didn't have cardamom (sure it would be better with) and only had 2.5 pounds of chicken, but I still used the whole can of coconut milk, and 7 oz. of tomato paste (I hate having partial containers of things in the fridge). And even though I didn't follow exactly it was still fantastic. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having Problems STICKING with the Paleo Diet?

    Want to eat some delicious recipes as soon as TONIGHT?

    Check out this book: Paleo Hacks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    This means that you literally burn fat by consuming coconut fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete