"I saw few die of hunger; of eating, a hundred thousand." -Ben Franklin

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sweetgreen: Perfect for Paleo!

A few weeks ago, a new fast-casual restaurant opened up on campus: Sweetgreen. This chain first opened in 2007 and has multiple locations in Washington, D.C. (where it originated), Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. They use only fresh, local, organic, and in-season ingredients, and their proteins are free-range, hormone- and antibiotic-free, and all-natural.


With only a few days left in Philly for the semester, I decided to try it tonight... and I'm so glad I did. The restaurant was very bright and open; the decor was modern and nature-based, with a lot of bright green and trees on the walls; the servers were so friendly and upbeat; and the variety of Paleo-approved ingredients was amazing. Primarily a salad restaurant (though you can get wraps, fro-yo, and soup as well), I had a feeling that I was going to love this place.




I decided to go for the "make-your-own" salad, and got baby spinach with hearts of palm, avocado, roasted chicken, hard-boiled egg, bacon, strawberries, and toasted almonds with extra virgin olive oil. For the avocado, they actually scoop it out in front of you; for the hard-boiled egg, they slice one up right there. The price for such fresh and healthy ingredients was extremely reasonable, especially given the size and awesome taste of the salad. Combined with great service and a hip, inviting atmosphere, I will definitely be eating there again! So if you're in an area with a Sweetgreen, I highly recommend it-- it doesn't get much more Paleo than 100% real, natural ingredients!



Quote of the Day:
"We believe we are all put on the planet with the potential to use our talents to make a difference, even if that difference is just a few extra smiles a day on the faces of our friends. No man is an island. We recognize and celebrate our connections." -Sweetgreen's philosophy


(This post entered in Primal Cave Friday #2.)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Leigh,

    I'm a Flight Attendant and just had a total ankle replacement last week. My cardiologist suggested that I follow the Mediterrean Diet for weight loss, however, I stumbled across the Paleo style of eating (and your great blog) and I feel like I've found a gold mine!

    I have lots of your posts to read, but since I'm in bed with my foot elevated for another week, I think I can accomplish that!

    You inspire me to go for it. I need to lose old eating habits (I'm a Southern lady that loves to cook and loves to eat.) I will be following you closely to shed 40-50 pounds myself.

    Keep up the great work and your blog. And one last thing....Thank you!

    Jan
    Arlington, TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan,
    It's really great to hear from you! I wish you the best of luck on your Paleo journey, and don't hesitate to ask me any questions-- it's fantastic that you're transitioning to this lifestyle, because it really is the healthiest one out there. Thanks for reading, and I really hope that Paleo works for you!
    -Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. BlueHost is ultimately the best website hosting company with plans for any hosting requirements.

    ReplyDelete