"I saw few die of hunger; of eating, a hundred thousand." -Ben Franklin

Saturday, March 19, 2011

30 Day Paleo Challenge

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I recently reintroduced nuts and dark chocolate back into my diet after a year without them. I thought I'd be okay handling them because I've gained some pretty good self-control when it comes to food over the last year, but now I know why I cut them out in the first place: they're addicting. Really, really addicting. What starts as one handful or square turns into an entire bag or bar. The result? I just feel pretty gross, and I know I've gained weight for the first time in a year (I haven't stepped on a scale since last spring, but I can just feel it in my clothes). I clearly can't handle these foods in moderation just yet-- my self-control isn't that good.

I'm also way too dependent on coffee. I've been an addict for the last few years, and I get awful headaches if I don't have my morning coffee. I've tried cutting out coffee before-- last spring, I tried detoxing off of it, but ultimately failed. During my few months of Primal vegetarianism, I had a lot of digestive issues (maybe from the soy?) and attempted cutting out coffee then too... but also ultimately failed. No more of that. I don't want to live my life dependent on it.

I also don't usually have dairy, but if there's high-quality cheese around (oh man, brie!), I'll go crazy. Again, not enough self-control. That can't continue.

Tomorrow thus begins the 30 Day Paleo Challenge (as outlined by Whole30... but without any nuts or coffee). I need to regain my control, break my coffee addiction, and make my jeans fit perfectly again. No coffee, no dark chocolate, no dairy, no nuts. Wish me luck.

The

Quote of the Day:
"I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self." -Aristotle

6 comments:

  1. Hello!I read your blog and I want to gratulate for your issue. It's amazing!:)
    I decided that I'm going to make the whole30 program and I break my diet coke addiction... I ate primal food since 1-2 months, but sometimes I cheated( dark chocolate,some sweets)...and unfortunately i eat lot of nut but i want to stop or reduce them..

    Good luck for your 30day challange! :)

    ps: sorry if my writing isn't perfect. I'm from Hungary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why in the world wouldn't you want to be addicted to something as healthy as coffee? It's like worrying about being addicted to green vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chloe: Thanks so much! Good luck on yours too!

    @FAT Newkirks: Coffee makes me feel nauseous, yet I still keep drinking it. Obviously, that's not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your issues are the same exact issues I have with having a good diet. Such as, having snack foods around, even healthy ones--dark chocolate, trail mix, coffee and tea with creamer, etc--simply cannot be around. I recently just took all of the chocolate and trail mix i had, put it in a food processor, and made little trail mix balls coated in coconut, and gave them away to family and friends so I would no longer have them around. I read about the Paleo diet a while ago, in highschool, and am now graduating from college. I never stuck with it, but the times that I did, I was in best health. Except, it would always be sabotaged by snacking too much and taking advantage of those "permissible" foods which I would have in too great a quantity. I want to do it again though, the right way. I have had 15 pounds I've been dying to get off since high school--5 years ago. I finally got the distractions out of the way (having my own snacks around), and want to do it. What was your final resolution with coffee, though? I'm not sure I could give it up. Is it OK black? If so, how many cups do you have a day? Do you find that you don't need it, doing paleo mostly strict? I really appreciate the perspective you're coming from, as a college student.. these are the hardest years to buckle down and take care of yourself, but also can make all the difference in sleep, studying, and over all mood. Thanks for all your research!

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  5. **just read your earlier post about how coffee makes you nauseous. Disregard my questions :)
    I suppose it depends on the person. Coffee is acidic, so if your stomach is acidic to begin with, it can be a bad combination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Tara: Great to hear from you! Black coffee is totally okay-- I usually drink two Starbucks Grandes a day. The nausea went away when I took out the creamer, so I'm all for it now! I'm addicted to coffee, so even eating 100% Paleo, I still need it, or else I get terrible withdrawal headaches (that i just can't deal with in class, studying, etc.). Otherwise, though, coffee's fine!
    Good luck with your Paleo challenge, and don't hesitate with any other questions you might have! It's great to know that there are other college students out there doing this lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete